- By visiting and using the Medibank Private Limited website ('Site'), including any linked pages or information owned by Medibank Private Limited, you agree to be bound by and abide by the following terms and conditions.
- Any disputes arising from, in relation to or in connection with the information contained on this Site are to be governed by the law of the State of Victoria. By visiting and using the Site you unconditionally submit to the jurisdiction of the Courts of that State.
- The materials on this Site have been prepared for general information purposes only. The information on this Site, or on any other website accessed via this Site or otherwise, may not necessarily be accurate, complete or current. All results from the calculators are simulations which are indicative approximations only and are neither a quote nor a pre-qualification for cover.
- No person should act or fail to act on the basis of these materials. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Medibank Private and its officers, employees and agents disclaim any liability (including liability for negligence) to any person arising out of: any action or failure to act by any person in accessing, downloading, uploading, using or relying on or dealing in any way with any materials from the Site or from any other website on the Internet;
any errors or omissions on the Site or on any other website on the Internet (including but not limited to errors or omissions arising as a result of the negligence of Medibank Private or its officers, employees and agents); or
any delay or interruption in access to or use of the Site or any other website on the Internet (including but not limited to delay or interruption arising as a result of the negligence of Medibank Private or its officers, employees and agents).
- You accept all risks and responsibility for losses, damages, costs and other consequences resulting directly or indirectly from using the Site or any other website on the Internet and in relation to any information or material available from those sites. Medibank Private reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, to delete, alter or move any message or other posted material on the Site. Medibank Private is under no obligation to update any information on the Site, or to correct any inaccuracy on the Site that may become apparent at a later time.
- The information on this site is current at 17/05/2013. Rules and benefit levels may change from time to time. If you anticipate treatment or a procedure for which you are expecting a benefit from Medibank Private, please contact us BEFORE commencing treatment to establish whether the benefit you expect will be paid.
- Where Medibank Private advertises on behalf of a provider or appears by reference of logo or otherwise in an advertisement of any provider, to the fullest extent allowed by law, such advertising or reference is not to be construed as:
- The information provided in the Site, and its design, text, graphics and software, are (unless otherwise stated) copyright of Medibank Private.
- You are granted a revocable license to download the materials contained in this Site for your personal use, including for the purpose for transacting with Medibank Private. You must not otherwise modify, copy, reproduce, republish, frame, upload, post, transmit, distribute or provide a link to the contents of the Site in any way, except as expressly provided for on the Site, or with the written authorisation of Medibank Private.
Links and framing
- Medibank Private does not warrant the accuracy of any hypertext links provided on the Site, nor the suitability or accuracy of any content located at those links. Links and frames connecting the Site with other websites are for convenience only and do not mean that Medibank Private is associated with, endorses or approves those other websites, their content, or the people who run or contribute to them. Use or reliance on the content of those websites is at the user's own risk.
- Medibank Private does not represent or warrant that any files displayed or obtained from or through this Site, or and other website linked to it, are free from computer viruses or other defects. Any such files are provided, and may only be accessed or used, on the basis that the user assumes all responsibility for any loss, damage or consequence resulting directly or indirectly from the use of those files. Medibank Private's liability for such an event is limited to the resupply of those files.
Warning regarding policy terms and availability
- All policies are subject to the terms and conditions of the Fund Rules, which are available for inspection at your nearest Medibank Private Store.
- Medibank uses Remarketing with Google Analytics to advertise online and Google Display Network Impression Reporting. Third party vendors, including Google, show our ads on sites across the internet. Website users can opt-out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising and customise Google Display Network ads by using Google’s Ad Settings tools. Medibank and third-party vendors, such as Google, use first and third party cookies (such as Google Analytics and DoubleClick) to inform, report, optimise and serve ads based on visits to our website.
- an endorsement by Medibank Private;
- an acknowledgment or representation as to fitness for purpose by Medibank Private; or
- a recommendation or warranty of, for, or in relation to the product or service of the provider by Medibank Private;
Accordingly, Medibank Private, to the fullest extent allowed by law, neither takes nor assumes any responsibility for the product or service provided. Members should rely on their own inquiries and seek any assurance or warranties directly from the provider of the service or product.
Medibank Private health insurance coverage is only available to Australian residents and holders of valid Australian visas.
If you have any questions about the issues covered in this site, please visit your nearest Medibank Store to speak to a Medibank Private representative or call 134190
Medibank Private Limited (Medibank) is committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information.
Requirements of the privacy legislation
We are required to comply with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) which regulates how personal information is handled from collection to use and disclosure, storage, access and disposal.
Personal information is information or an opinion, in any form and whether true or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent or can reasonably be ascertained from the information or opinion. It includes your name, age, gender, contact details as well as your health information (which is also sensitive information).
Collection of personal information
We will only collect personal information about you by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonably intrusive manner. The types of personal information we may collect include:
- identifying and contact information, such as name, age, employment details, email address and mobile phone number;
- financial information, such as bank account details;
- sensitive information, including information about health, health services provided to you and claims; and
- information about your activities, including sporting and other lifestyle interests.
We collect your personal (including sensitive) information to provide you with products and services, including insurance, health related services, information on other products and services offered by us, one of our subsidiaries or a third party, and to facilitate and assess the provision of health related services to you by us, our subsidiaries and third parties.
We may collect your personal (including sensitive) information from you, another person covered by your private health insurance membership, or from a person authorised to provide us this information on your behalf. We may also collect your personal (including sensitive) information from our subsidiaries or a third party (for example, a hospital or other health service provider, employer, educational institution, government agency or adviser that has dealt with you).
How will we use your personal information?
We will use your personal (including sensitive) information for the purposes for which we collect it as described above, including to:
- manage our ongoing relationship with you;
- administer, process and audit claims;
- manage, review, develop and improve our insurance products and related services (including health services) whether provided by us or other parties on our behalf;
- manage, review, develop and improve our business and operational processes and systems, including the services provided to you by our contracted service providers (such as our subsidiaries) and other parties;
- resolve any legal and/or commercial complaints or issues; and
- perform any of our other functions and activities relating to our business.
Who will we disclose your personal information to?
In order to carry out the above purposes, Medibank may disclose your personal (including sensitive) information to persons or organisations (which may be located overseas) such as:
- our subsidiaries;
- our agents and service providers;
- our professional advisors;
- health service providers (such as hospitals, general practitioners, allied health providers and providers of chronic disease management programs) including our subsidiaries;
- parties involved in a prospective or actual transfer of any parts of our assets or business;
- payment system operators and financial institutions;
- persons authorised by or responsible for you, including your agents and advisors;
- government agencies;
- if you have OSHC or a visitors cover product, also to your educational institution, migration agent or broker;
- if you have a corporate insurance product, also to your employer; and
- other parties to whom we are authorised or required by law to disclose information.
The above parties may also collect personal (including sensitive) information directly from you.
Medibank may disclose your personal information to other persons covered by your private health insurance membership as part of administering the membership and paying benefits. This may include the disclosure of sensitive information about benefits claimed by you under your policy.
- From time to time, we may also use your personal (including sensitive) information to contact you (including by telephone call, text message or email) in relation to other products or services we think may be of interest to you. This may include our own products and services, the products or services of a subsidiary or the products or services of third parties. You may withdraw your consent to these specific uses and disclosures by calling us on 134 190, visiting one of our stores, or accessing the Manage My Preferences page within the Online Member Services facility
If you do not provide personal information requested of you to Medibank, we may be unable to provide you with insurance cover, pay you benefits or provide you with or facilitate the provision of other services.
What health related services are provided by Medibank subsidiaries?
As indicated above, these companies may collect and use your personal (including sensitive) information to provide these services to you including to:
- manage their relationship with you and contact you for follow up purposes;
- manage, review, develop and improve their health related services and their business and operational processes and systems;
- resolve any legal and/or commercial complaints or issues; and
- perform any of their other functions or activities.
Our subsidiaries may collect your personal (including sensitive) information directly from Medibank and/or other Medibank subsidiaries, you or a person authorised by or responsible for you.
If you use health related services, our subsidiaries will disclose your personal (including sensitive) information to Medibank in order for us to pay benefits for health related services and to review, develop and improve the services. In order to perform the above functions, our subsidiaries may disclose your personal (including sensitive) information to us, each other and to third parties such as their agents, service providers and professional advisors, health service providers, persons authorised by or responsible for you, and to other parties to whom they are authorised or required by law to disclose information including government agencies, and these parties may collect that information.
In addition to the collections, uses and disclosures described above, our subsidiaries may also disclose your personal (including sensitive) information to us and each other in order for us and them to assess from what other services you may benefit and to facilitate the provision of such services. We may also disclose your personal (including sensitive) information to our subsidiaries so the Medibank Group may have an integrated view of our members and provide you a better and personalised service. Our subsidiaries may use your personal (including sensitive) information to contact you (including by telephone call, text message or email) in relation to their services. You may withdraw your consent to these specific collections, uses and disclosures at any time by calling us on 134 190, visiting one of our stores, or accessing the Manage My Preferences page within the Online Member Services facility.
How do we manage the data quality and security of your personal information?
To the extent required by the Privacy Act, Medibank will take reasonable steps to:
- make sure that the personal information that we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up to date;
- protect the personal information that we hold from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure; and
- where permitted by law, destroy or permanently de-identify personal information that is no longer needed for any purpose that is permitted by the Privacy Act.
Medibank will generally provide individuals with the option of not identifying themselves when entering transactions when it is lawful and practicable to do so. However, on many occasions we will not be able to do this. For example, we will need your name and address in order to provide you with private health insurance coverage.
Use of Commonwealth Government identifiers
Medibank will not use Commonwealth government identifiers, such as Medicare numbers, as its own identifier of individuals. We will only use or disclose such identifiers in the circumstances permitted by the Privacy Act.
Transfer of personal information overseas
If Medibank transfers your personal information outside Australia, we will comply with the requirements of the Privacy Act that relate to transborder data flows.
Access to your information and contacting us
Medibank will allow you to access and correct personal information it holds about you as required by law. If you have any queries about how Medibank handles your personal information, or would like to request access to or to correct that information, please write to: Privacy Officer, Medibank Private Limited, 16/700 Collins Street, Docklands, Victoria 3008 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
In some circumstances, Medibank may not permit you access to your personal information, or may refuse to correct your personal information, in which case we will provide you reasons for this decision.
Application of the Medibank Group's Privacy Policies
Further information about the application of the Privacy Act can be found at the website of the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at www.privacy.gov.au.
How we handle complaints
If you have any concerns or complaints about the manner in which your personal information has been collected or handled by Medibank, please contact the Privacy Officer whose contact details appear above.
Withdrawal of consent
You may also withdraw your consent to the use of personal information for any secondary purposes (whether for yourself or any dependant aged under 16 years) by ringing us on 131 680, visiting a Medibank store or withdrawing your consent via Online Member Services.
Medibank has a number of social media accounts, which currently includes Facebook, Twitter and YouTube (collectively, the ‘Pages’).
We encourage you to express your opinions and have open discussions, but we do ask that you act respectfully and responsibly.
We do not agree with or endorse, nor are we responsible for any comments, information, opinions, images or other content posted by individual users of our Pages. Such information does not necessarily reflect Medibank’s point of view, but rather that of the individuals who use our Pages. Medibank does not accept any responsibility or liability (either direct or indirect) for any loss or damage arising in connection with the use of (or reliance on) any information, links or other content posted on our Pages by individuals.
Medibank may remove content when it contains:
- offensive, abusive, obscene, profane, hateful or racist content
- content that is threatening, defamatory or contains a personal attack
- solicitations and advertisements by other organisations or endorsements of other products, services or organisations
- multiple or repetitive posts by a single or multiple users (often called SPAM)
- content that violates intellectual property rights of another party (eg. copyright)
- content that violates any law or regulation
- false, inaccurate or misleading comments
- content that personally identifies a person or group of people
- content that discloses any personal or financial information (eg. membership number or member contact details or anything connected to a policy or claim by a member as this information is private and confidential information)
- anything else Medibank considers inappropriate
We’ll review all content posted (including links) and remove if we think they’re inappropriate.
We want to share our health and wellbeing information with as many people as possible and our policy is to accept the majority of comments posted. However, repeated violations of our House Rules may cause the user to be blocked from one or more of our Pages.
While we want to be as helpful as we can, questions or issues related to specific Medibank products or services, claims or customer service issues should not be submitted via Medibank’s Page(s). Instead, please call us on 134 190 or visit www.medibank.com.au
We’re happy for you to share and comment on our content provided that you don’t alter it and that you cite us as the source. The design of our Page(s) and content that we post is the copyright of Medibank and our rights are reserved.
Whilst social media is 24/7, currently we’re not able to monitor our Page(s) around the clock. Because we may not be aware of inappropriate content straight away, we encourage users to ignore inappropriate or negative comments and respond politely. We also hope that you’ll tell us about any concerns via the email address below.
Please note that the information provided is general information only and not a substitute for professional health advice, diagnosis or treatment. Medibank does not guarantee the accuracy of any of the information, representations or advice displayed. To the extent permitted by law, Medibank accepts no responsibility for any loss, injury or inconvenience sustained by readers of this site as a result of or in connection with the information contained on this site (whether by way of negligence or otherwise).
Thanks! If you have any questions or comments, please email us email@example.com